After losing her bantamweight championship to Miesha Tate, Holly Holm wanted to get right back inside the octagon and get back to her winning ways. Four short months later Holm found herself facing off against dangerous muay thai specialist Valentina Shevchenko. Maybe the quick turnaround was not a good idea as Shevchenko walked away with a majority decision victory over the former championing. The bout served as the main event for the UFC on Fox card held at the United Center in Chicago on Saturday night.
Both Holm and Shevchenko are the most decorated strikers in the UFC and have collected dozens of championships in boxing, kickboxing, and muay thai between the two of them. The bout played out mostly on the feet with the two exchanging strikes. Holm was able to knock down Shevchenko in the first round but was not really able to muster up any real offense the remainder of the fight.
Shevchenko would counter all of Holm’s strikes and keep a rhythm for the four remaining rounds. Holm’s game plan looked unimaginative and robotic. She moved forward but had little movement and her strikes were easily avoided or countered by Shevchenko.
Holm is now 0-2 after her stunning victory over Ronda Rousey and may need to go back to the drawing board to get back in the title picture. As for Shevchenko her last loss came against current champion Amanda Nunes. She would lose the bout via decision but many feel that if the bout had continued beyond the third round that Shevchenko would have won. With the win over Holm, Shevchenko is now in prime position for a rematch against Nunes and a shot at her bantamweight title.
The night’s co-main event saw the emergence of yet another threat in the UFC’s lightweight division. Edson Barboza brutalized the leg of Gilbert Melendez in route to a decision victory. Barboza now has consecutive wins over former champions Anthony Pettis and Melendez. He is now in the thick of the lightweight title picture with the like of Tony Ferguson, Khabib Nurmagomedov, and Rafael Dos Anjos.
Below are the full results from UFC on Fox:
Main Card Results:
- Valentina Shevchenko def. Holly Holm via unanimous decision
- Edson Barboza def. Gilbert Melendez via unanimous decision
- Francis Ngannou def. Bojan Mihajlovic via TKO in Round 1 at 1:34
- Felice Herrig def. Kailin Curran via submission in Round 1 at 1:59
Preliminary Card Results:
- Eddie Wineland def. Frankie Saenz via TKO in Round 3 at 1:54
- Darren Elkins def. Godofredo Pepey via unanimous decision
- Kamaru Usman def. Alexander Yakovlev via unanimous decision
- Michel Prazeres def. J.C. Cottrell via unanimous decision
- Alex Oliveira def. James Moontasri via unanimous decision
- Jason Knight def. Jim Alers via split decision
- Luis Henrique def. Dmitrii Smoliakov via submission in Round 2 at 3:58