After a slow start former UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold put himself back on top the contender’s list. Rockhold defeated David Branch with a second round TKO in the main event of the UFC Fight Night event held in Pittsburgh. Rockhold was away from action for 15 months nursing a knee injury but was able to get the win in his return. Branch came out strong in the first round of the bout and caught Rockhold off guard. Branch landed several strikes and had Rockhold up against the fence. Rockhold was able to survive took control of the fight in the second round. Rockhold was able to gain a takedown Branch and smother him with strikes. Rockhold landed at will and Branch had actually had to tap out to stop the bout.
After the fight Rockhold called out Georges St. Pierre and told him to back out of his November bout against middleweight champion Michael Bisping. There is no love lost between Rockhold and Bisping, who defeated Rockhold to win the title. Rockhold has made it clear that he wants Bisping again and was adamant about getting that fight as soon as possible.
Below are the full results from UFC Fight Night in Pittsburgh.
Main Card Results:
- Luke Rockhold def. David Branch via sub (strikes) in Round 2 at 4:05
- Mike Perry def. Alex Reyes via KO in Round 1 at 1:19
- Anthony Smith def. Hector Lombard via TKO in Round 3 at 2:33
- Gregor Gillespie def. Jason Gonzalez via sub (arm-triangle choke) in Round 2 at 2:11
- Kamaru Usman def. Sergio Moraes via knockout in Round 1 at 2:48
- Justin Ledet def. Zu Anyanwu via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
Preliminary Card Results:
- Olivier Aubin-Mercier def. Tony Martin via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Daniel Spitz def. Anthony Hamilton via TKO in Round 1 at 0:24
- Uriah Hall def. Krzysztof Jotko via KO in Round 2 at 2:25
- Gilbert Burns def. Jason Saggo via KO in Round 2 at 4:55