The UFC returned to pay-per-view on Saturday with UFC 197. The event marked the return of Jon Jones and also had arguably the best fighter in the world put on yet another outstanding performance. UFC 197 took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Though his opponent had changed the story was still centered around how the former light heavyweight champion would look after a long layoff that was due to various legal issues. Upon his return Jones was supposed to continue his rivalry with current light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier. An injury to Cormier forced him out of the card and a late replacement had to be found.
Ovince St. Pruex was selected to replace Cormier and though he was ranked number 6 in the division he was only able to put up a valiant effort and served as nothing more than a warm-up match for Jones.
Jones, who had his title stripped from him by the UFC following a barrage of legal issues, looked like his old self and earned a unanimous decision victory that set up the eventual rematch with rival Daniel Cormier.
The night also saw flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson continue his reign of dominance by dispatching of challenger Henry Cejudo in the first round. Johnson shrugged off a take down from Cejudo and landed a vicious knee to the body and followed up with several strikes that went unanswered thus forcing the referee to stop to the bout. With the win, Johnson has pretty much cleared out the flyweight division and made a claim to be called the best fighter on the planet.
Below are the full results from UFC 197.
MAIN CARD RESULTS:
- Interim Light Heavyweight Championship: Jon Jones def. Ovince Saint Preux via unanimous decision
- Flyweight Championship: Demetrious Johnson def. Henry Cejudo via TKO in Round 1 at 2:45
- Edson Barboza def. Anthony Pettis unanimous decision
- Robert Whittaker def. Rafael Natal via unanimous decision
PRELIMINARY CARD RESULTS:
- Yair Rodriguez def. Andre Fili via knockout in Round 2 at 2:15
- Sergio Pettis def. Chris Kelades via unanimous decision
- Danny Roberts def. Dominique Steele via unanimous decision
- Carla Esparza def. Juliana Lima via unanimous decision
- James Vick def. Glaico Franca via unanimous decision
- Walt Harris def. Cody East via TKO in Round 1 at 4:18
- Marcos Rogerio de Lima def. Clint Hester via submission in Round 1 at 4:35
- Kevin Lee def. Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision