The upward trajectory of UFC lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos continued on Saturday night. Dos Anjos only needed 66-seconds to dispatch Donald Cerrone in their main event championship bout. The UFC on Fox card was the final event of 2015 for the UFC and it capped of tremendous year of surprises and upsets.
Dos Anjos struck first by landing a knee to the body and followed it up with a nasty kick. The blows visibly hurt Cerrone who was forced to cover up and back into the cage. Dos Anjos pounced and landed a three punch combination.
Cerrone was able to escape off the cage but when a takedown attempt failed, Dos Anjos was able to capitalize and land several punches that went unanswered and the bout was stopped.
In the night’s co-main event Alistair Overeem knockout out former heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos in the second round. The two men had engaged in a war of words for several years and were finally able to lock horns on Saturday night. Overeem has been very successful since switching to Greg Jackson’s camp and is currently on a three fight win streak. He now may have placed himself back at the top of the contender’s list in the heavyweight division.
Below are the full results from the UFC on Fox card.
Main Card Results:
- Lightweight Championship: Rafael dos Anjos def. Donald Cerrone via TKO in Round 1 at 1:06
- Alistair Overeem def. Junior Dos Santos via TKO in Round 2 at 4:43
- Nate Diaz def. Michael Johnson via unanimous decision
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz def. Randa Markos via unanimous decision
Preliminary Card Results:
- Charles Oliveira def. Myles Jury via submission in Round 1 at 3:05
- Nate Marquardt def. C.B. Dollaway via knockout in Round 2 at 0:28
- Tamdan McCrory def. Josh Samman via submission in Round 3 at 4:10
- Nik Lentz def. Danny Castillo via split decision
- Jim Alers vs. Cole Miller – no contest (accidental eye poke)
- Kamaru Usman def. Leon Edwards via unanimous decision
- Vincente Luque def. Hayder Hassan via submission in Round 1 at 2:13
- Francis Ngannou def. Luiz Henrique via knockout in Round 2 at 2:53