Sao Paulo, Brazil played host to the UFC’s Fight Night event on Saturday night. It was a mixed card with several MMA veterans and young up and coming fighters. The main event was a middleweight bout between old school fighters Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson.
The main event ended like many suspected it would and that was with a knockout. It was Belfort who scored the first blow in the bout and it was a head kick that started the flurry of offense for Belfort. The kick forced Henderson to the fence and Belfort followed with a flurry of punches once the fight hit the ground. Henderson had no answer for the offense and the referee was forced to step in and stop the bout.
Former light heavyweight title challenger Glover Teixeira made easy work of Patrick Cummins mixing in his grappling with is superior stand up game. Teixeira was able to finish Cummins in the second round after a combination of punches landed on Cummins the referee stopped the bout.
The main card also saw the breakout of Thomas Almeida who defeated Anthony Birchak with a highlight reel knockout in the first round. Almeida is being pegged as the future of the bantamweight division and showed why people are calling him the future champion with an impressive performance. Below are the full results from Saturday night’s Fight Night card.
Main Card Results:
- Vitor Belfort def. Dan Henderson via TKO in Round 1 at 2:07
- Glover Teixeira def. Patrick Cummins via TKO in Round 2 at 1:12
- Thomas Almeida def. Anthony Birchak via knockout in Round 1 at 4:24
- Alex Oliveira def. Piotr Hallmann via knockout Round 3 at 0:51
- Rashid Magomedov def. Gilbert Burns via unanimous decision
- Corey Anderson def. Fabio Maldonado via unanimous decision
Preliminary Card Results:
- Gleison Tibau def. Abel Trujillo via submission in Round 1 at 1:45
- Johnny Case def. Yan Cabral via unanimous decision
- Thiago Tavares def. Clay Guida via submission in Round 1 at 0:39
- Chas Skelly def. Kevin Souza via submission in Round 2 at 1:56
- Viscardi Andrade def. Gasan Umalatov via unanimous decision
- Jimmie Rivera def. Pedro Munhoz via split decision
- Matheus Nicolau def. Bruno Korea via submission in Round 3 at 3:27