Chase Park Plaza in St. Louis, Missouri played host the RFA 28 on Friday night. The night was capped off with a title bout for the vacant middleweight championship. Andrew Sanchez dominated John Poppie en route to a third round TKO victory to become the new RFA middleweight champion.
Sanchez mixed his stand up and ground game to control Poppie. When the fighters were on their feet the punches flew in bunches but it was mostly Poppie who received the damage. Sanchez was able to get the fight back on the feet and from there he did his real damage. He opened up a wound on Poppie’s face that required the fight to be stopped in order for it to be examined by the cage side doctor.
Poppie showed tremendous heart but he was no match for Sanchez on Friday night. It was a spinning back fist by Sanchez that lead to the fight being stopped. After the back fist, Sanchez followed with a flurry of punches that sent Poppie to the canvas. The referee had no other choice but to stop the fight. Below are the full results and highlight video of RFA 28.
RFA 28 Results:
- Middleweight Championship: Andrew Sanchez def. John Poppie by TKO in Round 3 at 1:53
- Ken Porter def. Matt Manzanares by split decision
- Thiago Moisés def. Javon Wright by submission in Round 2 at 2:10
- Jake Roberts def. Chuka Willis by unanimous decision
- Adam Osmoe def. Jimmy Donahue by submission in Round 1 at 3:27
- Travis Draper def. Joey Valadez by split decision
- Tyler Flores def. Colby Tierney by unanimous decision