The main event from UFC’s fight night in Hollywood, Florida was a pivotal middleweight bout between former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida and Yoel Romero. The fight started with great stand up from Romero who seemed more than content with keeping the fight off the ground. Many would have expected Romero would go to his bread and butter which is wrestling. Machida looked comfortable but Romero was equally as comfortable despite being out of action since September of 2014. Romero was very patient and waited for his counters to land which they started to late in the second round. In the middle of the third round Romero was able to land a takedown and that was all he needed. As soon as Macida’s back was on the canvas Romero landed about five elbows in a matter of seconds and referee John McCarthy was forced to stop the bout.
The night’s co-main event showed the possible emergence of another standout in the welterweight division as Lorenz Larkin once again showcased is stand up skills with a TKO win over Santiago Ponzinibbio. Larkin came into the UFC as a middleweight but after a loss to Derek Brunson he decided to drop down to 170-pounds. Larkin is now 2-0 since the drop in weight classes and both of those wins have come by way of TKO. Below are the full results from the UFC Fight Night card in Hollywood, Florida.
Main Card Results:
- Yoel Romero def. Lyoto Machida via knockout in Round 3 at 1:38
- Lorenz Larkin def. Santiago Ponzinibbio via TKO in Round 2 at 3:07
- Antonio Carlos Junior def. Eddie Gordon via submission in Round 3 at 4:37
- Thiago “Marreta” Santos def. Steve Bosse via knockout in Round 1 at 0:29
- Hacran Dias def. Levan Makashvili via split decision
Preliminary Card Results:
- Alex Oliveira def. Joe Merritt via unanimous decision
- Leandro Silva def. Lewis Gonzalez via unanimous decision
- Tony Sims def. Steve Montgomery via TKO in Round 1 at 2:43
- Sirwan Kakai def. Danny Martinez via unanimous decision