The UFC on Fox events have had a recent history of out entertaining recent pay-per-view events. Saturday night was no different as the Fox event held in Kansas City, Missouri delivered a slew of action filed bouts. The night was headlined by a flyweight championship bout between Demetrious Johnson and Wilson Reis. Below are the results from the entire card.
Main Card Results:
- Demetrious Johnson def. Wilson Reis via submission in Round 3 at 4:49
- Rose Namajunas def. Michelle Waterson via submission in Round 2 at 2:47
- Robert Whittaker def. Ronaldo Souza via TKO in Round 2 at 3:28
- Renato Moicano def. Jeremy Stephens via split decision
Preliminary Card Results:
- Alexander Volkov def. Roy Nelson via unanimous decision
- Tom Duquesnoy def. Patrick Williams via TKO in Round 2 at 0:28
- Rashid Magomedov def. Bobby Green via split decision
- Tim Elliott def. Louis Smolka via unanimous decision
- Aljamain Sterling def. Augusto Mendes via unanimous decision
- Devin Clark def. Jake Collier via unanimous decision
- Anthony Smith def. Andrew Sanchez via knockout in Round 3 at 3:52
- Zak Cummings def. Nathan Coy via submission in Round 1 at 4:21
- Ketlen Vieira def. Ashlee Evans-Smith via unanimous decision
It looks like the UFC is trying to spice things up not only on the “Ultimate Fighter” realty show but also in their flyweight division. In a statement released today the organization announced that the upcoming season of the long running reality series will feature flyweight fighters and the winner will be awarding a title opportunity.
A total of 16 flyweights will compete on season 24 of reality show. The winner will receive their title shot on the show’s finale sometime in December. Try outs for this season will be held on April 25 in Las Vegas and filming is expected to begin sometime in June with the season premiering on August 31st.
This will be the third time that a season of “TUF” will culminate in a title shot for the winner. Season four saw winner Matt Serra earn a title shot at welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and season 20 was for the right to be called the first ever UFC women’s strawweight champion. That season was one by former Invicta FC champion Carla Esparza.
The announcement will breath some fresh air into the reality series. Recently the UFC has tried a number of way to spice things up and gain more viewers. They tried going with a live format, adding women contestants, and even tried a camp versus camp season. All have come with mixed reviews.
This may also bring some much-needed attention to the flyweight division. This is a division that has been thoroughly dominated by one man, Demetrious Johnson. Despite being considered by many as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, the flyweight champion has yet to develop a following amongst hardcore and casual MMA fans. His reign of dominance has been nothing short of historical but it has also left the UFC scrambling for legitimate contenders.
Johnson (23-2) is set to defend his gold against Henry Cejudo (10-0) in the co-main event at UFC 197 on April 23.