Former UFC light heavyweight champion and perennial contender Lyoto Machida made his return tonight after a two-year absence. Machida was serving a suspension for a USADA violation and was welcomed back to the octagon by top ten middleweight Derek Brunson. The bouts served as the main event for the UFC’s Fight Night event held in Sao Paulo Brazil.
The main event was short and sweet for Derek Brunson who scored a huge knockout win over Lyoto Machida. The fight started like the typical Machida fight with the Brazilian darting in and out but Brunson was able to time Machida’s movement and land a hard left hand that rocked Machida. Brunson was able to swarm and finish the fight and in doing so silenced the Brazilian crowd. After the bout Brunson called out former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold for a potential fight.
The night’s co-main event between Colby Covington and Demian Maia turned into a will of attrition as both men were bloody and exhausted by the time the final bell rang. Covington inflected enough damage to take home the unanimous decision win. Leading up to the fight Covington had no problem playing the bad guy during the promotional tour by taking shots at Maia and Brazil. Covington did not let up the bad guy routine during his post fight speech either. He called the people of Brazil some derogatory terms and called out current welterweight champion Tyron Woodley before running back to the locker room as the crowd threw trash in his direction.
Below are the full results for UFC Fight Night in Sao Paulo:
Main Card Results:
- Derek Brunson def. Lyoto Machida via KO in Round 1 at 2:30
- Colby Covington def. Demian Maia via unanimous decision (29-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Pedro Munhoz def. Rob Font via submission in Round 1 at 4:03
- Francisco Trinaldo def. Jim Miller via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Thiago “Marreta” Santos def. Jack Hermansson via TKO in Round 1 at 4:59
- John Lineker def. Marlon Vera via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
Preliminary Card Results:
- Vicente Luque def. Niko Price via submission in Round 2 at 4:08
- Antonio Carlos Junior def. Jack Marshman via submission in Round 1 at 4:30
- Jared Gordon def. Hacran Dias via unanimous decision (29-26, 29-27, 30-26)
- Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos def. Max Griffin via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-28)
- Deiveson Figueiredo def. Jarred Brooks via split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Marcelo Golm def. Christian Colombo via submission in Round 1 at 2:08