When history looks back at the welterweight championship reign of Robbie Lawler one word will undoubtedly come up, violent. His title fights have been as action packed as any bouts in recent memory and sooner rather than later the impact of all the action would come back to haunt him. Saturday night turned out to be the night that all that violence came back to hit Lawler head on. Lawler would take on Tyron Woodley at UFC 201 which took place at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.
Coming into UFC 201 many expected the bout between Lawler and Woodley to be as action packed as Lawler’s past bouts with Johny Hendricks, Rory MacDonald, and Carlos Condit. All three of those previous bout went a grueling 20 plus minutes of non-stop striking. Lawler was able to outlast all three men but on Saturday he was stopped early and violently by Woodley.
The main event to UFC 201 lasted only two minutes and 12 seconds as Woodley landed a right hook that sent Lalwer falling back to the cage. Woodley quickly pounced and landed a few strikes on the ground before the referee stepped in and stopped the fight. It was a far contrast to the bouts UFC fans have gotten used to seeing Lawler in. This bout was quick but still had all the violence and action that fans of Lawler had come to expect.
Below are the full results from UFC 201.
MAIN CARD RESULTS:
- Tyron Woodley def. Robbie Lawler via knockout in Round 1 at 2:12
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz def. Rose Namajunas via split decision
- Jake Ellenberger def. Matt Brown via TKO in Round 1 at 1:46
- Erik Perez def. Francisco Rivera via unanimous decision
- Ryan Benoit def. Fredy Serrano via split decision
PRELIMINARY CARD RESULTS:
- Nikita Krylov def. Ed Herman via knockout in Round 2 at 0:40
- Jorge Masvidal def. Ross Pearson via unanimous decision
- Anthony Hamilton def. Damian Grabowski via knockout in Round 1 at 0:14
- Wilson Reis def. Hector Sandoval via submission in Round 1 at 1:49
- Michael Graves vs. Bojan Velickovic declared majority draw
- Damien Brown def. Cesar Arzamendia via knockout in Round 1 at 2:27