Despite just coming off three fight card in three consecutive days the UFC held a Fight Night event on Wednesday in Sioux Fall, North Dakota. The event aired live on Fox Sports 1. It was billed as the only live major sporting event on television as the NBA, NHL, and NFL are all in their offseason while the MLB is on their All-Star break. For those fans who managed to stay up and catch the fight card they were surely entertained as this Fight Night was filled with non-stop action at 9 of the 12 fights ended in either a submission or knockout.
The night was headlined by a bantamweight bout between John Lineker and Michael McDonald and only lasted 2 minutes and 43 seconds. Lineker was able to goat McDonald into a slugfest which proved to be a mistake by McDonald. Lineker’s power proved to be too much for his counterpart. McDonald was rocked by the right hand of Lineker early in the round and rather than try to recover he tried to swing his way out of it. Lineker dropped McDonald to the canvas after a series of heavy-handed punches. He followed McDonald down to the canvas with some ground and pound and the referee was forced to stop the bout.
The win was Lineker’s fifth in a row and third consecutive in the bantamweight division. During his post fight interview Lineker called out current bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz.
The evening’s co-main event was an action packed affair between lightweight contender Tony Ferguson and Lando Vannata. Vannata was a last-minute replacement and his unorthodox style proved to be a puzzle for the veteran Ferguson.
Vannata’s casual approach may have been what threw Ferguson off. Vannata approached Ferguson with his hands low and loose striking technique. He landed a spinning back fist that wobbled and dropped Ferguson with a head kick. It looked as though Vannata was on his way to an upset victory. Ferguson stumbled across the octagon trying to avoid any more strikes from Vannata and regain his composure. Somehow Ferguson was able to get a leg lock and hold on until the first round ended.
With his feet now under him Ferguson came out for the second round looking for the finish. He landed a series of combinations and was able to get Vannata down to the ground. From there Ferguson secured a D’Arce choke for the win. The crowd truly appreciated the now stop action and social media went nuts during the bout as well.
Below are the full results from UFC Fight Night in Sioux Falls.
Main Card Results:
- John Lineker def. Michael McDonald via TKO in Round 1 at 2:43
- Tony Ferguson def. Lando Vannata via submission in Round 2 at 2:22
- Tim Boetsch def. Josh Samman via TKO in Round 2 at 3:49
- Daniel Omielanczuk def. Aleksei Oleinik via majority decision
- Keita Nakamura def. Kyle Noke via submission in Round 2 at 4:59
- Louis Smolka def. Ben Nguyen via TKO in Round 2 at 4:41
Preliminary Card Results:
- Katlyn Chookagian def. Lauren Murphy via unanimous decision
- Sam Alvey def. Eric Spicely via submission in Round 1 at 2:43
- Cortney Casey def. Cristina Stanciu via TKO in Round 1 at 2:36
- Scott Holtzman def. Cody Pfister via unanimous decision
- Rani Yahya def. Matthew Lopez via submission in Round 3 at 4:19
- Alex Nicholson def. Devin Clark via knockout in Round 1 at 4:57