Cleveland, Ohio can now call one of their own a world champion. On Saturday night at UFC 198 Stipe Miocic claimed the heavyweight title by knocking out Fabricio Werdum in the first round. The event took place at the Arena da Baixada in Curitiba, Parana, Brazil.
Heavyweight bouts in MMA usually end in some type of knockout but this one was rather spectacular. The fight ending blow came in just under the three-minute mark of the opening round. Werdum landed an overhand right that sent Miocic backpedaling and the champion was on the prowl. Werdum came in too aggressive and had his hands down leaving his chin completely exposed. Miocic was still moving backwards when he landed with at right hand that sent Werdum crashing down to the canvas. Miocic followed up with a few strikes on the ground but it was clear that Werdum was out cold before his face touched the canvas.
The win snapped Werdum’s impressive win streak that saw he defeat the likes of Cain Velasquez, Travis Browne, Mark Hunt, and Roy Nelson respectively.
For Miocic the win pushed his UFC record to 8-2 with his last loss coming to former champion Junior Dos Santos.
The night also was the official UFC debut of Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino who needed less than 90-seconds to defeat Leslie Smith in a catchweight bout. Justino has been the world’s best fighter at 145-pounds but the UFC’s refusal to add that weight class under their organization has left her out in the cold. With her successful debut maybe the UFC will look to add the women’s 145-pound division to their ever-growing roster.
Below are the full results from UFC 198.
Main Card Results:
- Stipe Miocic def. Fabricio Werdum via knockout in Round 1 at 2:47
- Ronaldo Souza def. Vitor Belfort via TKO in Round 1 at 4:38
- Cristiane Justino def. Leslie Smith via TKO in Round 1, 1:21
- Mauricio Rua def. Corey Anderson via split decision
- Bryan Barberena def. Warlley Alves via unanimous decision
Preliminary Card Results:
- Demian Maia def. Matt Brown via submission in Round 3 at 4:31
- Thiago “Marreta” Santos def. Nate Marquardt via knockout in Round 1 at 3:39
- Francisco Trinaldo def. Yancy Medeiros via unanimous decision
- John Lineker def. Rob Font via unanimous decision
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Patrick Cummins via TKO in Round 1 at 4:42
- Luan Chagas vs. Sergio Moraes declared split draw
- Renato Moicano def. Zubaira Tukhugov via split decision