The legend of Conor McGregor continues to grow. In just 13-seconds McGregor tore down Jose Aldo’s ten year undefeated streak and won the UFC’s featherweight championship in their UFC 194 main event. It was a perfectly placed left hook that landed on the incoming Aldo that ended the bout before anyone in the arena could take a sip of their beer.
It was the biggest lead up to any bout in UFC history and like most UFC build ups it never really quite lived up to the hype. We received a stunning outcome that will have sports fans talking for quite some time but was it the epic battle we were promised? No. But that does not matter, all that matters now is we are officially entering the reign of McGregor.
Jose Aldo was upset and rightfully embarrassed after he woke up from the knockout. He immediately called for a rematch citing that what took place was not a real fight. McGregor on the other hand was gracious in victory and merely stated that precision beats power any day.
In the night’s co-main event Luke Rockhold dished a unhealthy dose of ground and pound on Chris Weidman en route to a TKO win to capture the middleweight championship. The bout started out competitively but in the middle of the third round Weidman went for a spinning back kick that missed. Rockhold was able to grab ahold of Weidman and took him down to the ground. He landed a series of elbows and punches on the champion. It looked like the bout was going to be stopped but referee Herb Dean allowed Weidman every opportunity to fight back. Weidman was able to survive the round but wound up a bloody mess.
Rockhold picked up where he left off in the fourth round by getting Weidman to the ground. This time Weidman was pinned up against the cage and had no real place to go. Rockhold was able to posture up and rained down more elbows and punches. This time Herb Dean could not let it go and stepped in to stop the bout.
After the bout Rockhold’s AKA teammates Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez came into the octagon to celebrate the victory. Rockhold was the final middleweight champion in the Strikeforce organization and has bounced back very nicely after losing his UFC debut to Vitor Belfort. He will most likely face Yoel Romero who was victorious in his bout against Jacare Souza earlier in the night.
Below are the full results from UFC 194.
Main Card Results:
- Conor McGregor def. Jose Aldo via knockout in Round 1 at 0:13
- Luke Rockhold def. Chris Weidman via TKO in Round 4 at 3:12
- Yoel Romero def. Ronaldo Souza via split decision
- Demian Maia def. Gunnar Nelson via unanimous decision
- Max Holloway def. Jeremy Stephens via unanimous decision
Preliminary Card Results:
- Urijah Faber def. Frankie Saenz via unanimous decision
- Tecia Torres def. Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger via unanimous decision
- Warlley Alves def. Colby Covington via submission in Round 1 at 1:26
- Leonardo Santos def. Kevin Lee via TKO in Round 1 at 3:26
- Magomed Mustafaev def. Joe Proctor via TKO in Round 1 at 1:54
- Yancy Medeiros def. John Makdessi via split decision
- Court McGee def. Marcio Alexandre Jr. vs. via unanimous decision