Josh Thomson made his second appearance for Bellator on Friday night. The former Strikeforce and UFC lightweight defeated Pablo Villaseca with a TKO in the second round of their main event bout.
Thomson utilized his grappling in the first round landing a take down on Villaseca. While on the ground Thomson went for a variety of submission attempts. Villaseca was able to escape any real danger from Thomson’s grappling and finish the first round.
The second saw Thomson once again land a take down but rather than attempt a submission move the went for some old fashioned ground and pound. Villaseca ate some elbows and punches but was not properly defending himself. Referee Jason Herzog had seen enough and ordered the bout to be stopped.
The win now pushes Thomson’s Bellator record to 2-0. With two impressive performances and a recognizable name, he is definitely within striking distance of a title shot. When asked about Bellator lightweight champion Will Brooks, Thomson was dismissive of the about the potential title bout citing the fans desire to see him face a former champion instead, “I’m sorry, man, whether you’re the champion or not, there’s more of a call, the fans want to see me fight [Micheal] Chandler…Hey, I’ll take Will Brooks too, but I’m telling you right now, the hype right now is around me and Chandler.”
Below are the full results from Bellator 147.
MAIN CARD RESULTS:
- Josh Thomson def. Pablo Villaseca via TKO in Round 2 at 3:59
- Daniel Weichel def. Georgi Karakhanyan via unanimous decision
- Derek Anderson def. Patricky Freire via split decision
- Adam Piccolotti def. Mario Soto via submission in Round 2 at 3:25
- Brian Rogers def. Virgil Zwicker via submission in Round 2 at 4:38
PRELIMINARY CARD RESULTS:
- Anthony Do def. Dustin Moore via TKO in Round 1 at 2:05
- Adin Duenas def. Anthony Taylor via submission in Round 1 at 2:43
- Bronson Mohika def. Jose Perez via unanimous decision
- Jeremiah Labiano def. Alvin Cacdac via unanimous decision
- Erick Sanchez def. Thomas Diagne via TKO in Round 3 at 1:22
- Gabriel Carrasco def. Khomkrit Niimi via TKO in Round 1 at 3:19
- Brandon Hester def. Idris Wasi via unanimous decision
- A.J. McKee def. John Donaldson via TKO in Round 1 at 3:19
- Nick Barnes def. James Terry via submission in Round 1 at 2:48