On Saturday night the UFC was in Monterrey, Mexico with a Fight Night event that saw the crowning of two new “TUF: Latin America” winners. The night also saw the welterweight return of Kelvin Gastelum and played witness to Diego Sanchez competing in the fourth different weight class in his UFC career.
Neil Magny took the bout against Kelvin Gastelum on short notice after Matt Brown suffered an injury and it proved to be the right move as he defeated Gastelum via a split decision. Magny was the aggressor in the first two rounds and engaged in the clinch successfully. The third round proved to be the difference maker and the judges gave it to Magny.
The ever durable Magny proved to be a tough bout for Gastelum and turned in an impressive performance before fading in the later rounds.
Gastelum’s cardio kept up and even seemed to kick in during the fourth and fifth rounds. He was able to drop Magny twice in the fourth round and controlled the fifth round with his wrestling. It seemed to be too little too late for Gastelum who is now 1-2 in his last three bouts.
The night’s co-main event between Ricardo Lamas and Diego Sanchez played out like many of Sanchez’ previous bouts. Lamas was the crisper and more polished fighter and it showed as he did serious damage to Sanchez’ leg and face. Sanchez tried several times to get Lamas to engage in a brawl but the former featherweight title challenger kept his composure and mixed up his attack very well. Lamas took the unanimous decision victory and is now back in the win column after suffering a TKO loss to Chad Mendes back in April.
Enrique Barzola earned out a decision victory over Mexico native Horacio Gutierrez to become the “TUF: Latin America” lightweight winner. Barzola utilized his superior grappling skill to keep Gutierrez on his back for the majority of the fight.
Erick Montano defeated Enrique Marin in a rather dull bout to win the welterweight tournament. Montano mixed his striking and grappling to defeat his close friend Marin. Before the third round began the two had a quick embrace and after the fight the two men stood side-by-side during their interviews.
Below are the full results from the UFC Fight Night event.
Main Card Results:
- Neil Magny def. Kelvin Gastelum via split decision
- Ricardo Lamas def. Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision
- Henry Cejudo def. Jussier Formiga via split decision
- TUF Welterweight Final: Erick Montano def. Enrique Marin via split decision
- TUF Lightweight Final: Enrique Barzola def. Horacio Gutierrez via unanimous decision
- Leandro Silva def. Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision
Preliminary Card Results:
- Erik Perez def. Taylor Lapilus via unanimous decision
- Bartosz Fabinski def. Hector Urbina via unanimous decision
- Alejandro Perez def. Scott Jorgensen via TKO (injury) in Round 2 at 4:26
- Andre Fili def. Gabriel Benitez via knockout in Round 1 at 3:13
- Alvaro Herrera def. Vernon Ramos via TKO in Round 1 at 0:30
- Polo Reyes def. Cesar Arzamendia via knockout in Round 1 at 3:42
- Michel Prazeres def. Valmir Lazaro via split decision