The MMA world was sent a shock wave on Saturday night at as Ronda Rousey was defeated for the first time in her professional fighting career. Holly Holm defeated Rousey with a second round knockout to win the UFC’s bantamweight championship and penned the biggest upset in the UFC’s history.
Holm executed the perfect game plan by staying out of the striking and grappling range of Rousey. Holm really exposed the lack of depth in Rousey’s striking game. She also exposed the lack of composure that Rousey can tend to have. Rousey proved to be much more emotional than Holm who kept her calm the entire fight.
The first round really showed the difference in striking between the two. Rousey would rush in and Holm would calmly landed straight punches. Holm stayed on the outside and moved with angles to avoid any of Rousey’s offense. In the middle of the first round Rousey was able to get ahold of Holm. Many expected Rousey to go for a Judo flip but Holm was able to block the flip and take Rousey down to the ground.
The second round started with Holm in control and using angles and movement to keep Rousey on the prowl. As Rousey charged in Holm was able to land several straight lefts. The end came as Holm was able to drop Rousey with a punch. Rousey quickly got back to her feet but Holm stayed on her and landed a huge left kick that sent Rousey straight back down to the canvas. Holm followed that up with strikes on the ground and the referee was forced to stop the bout and sent the sports world in a state of amazement.
The nights co-main event saw the continued dominance of strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk as she defeated challenger Valerie Letourneau in a hard fought bout. Jedrzejczyk used her superior Muay Thai and striking to inflict damage to Letourneau and put no doubt in the judge’s mind as to who the winner of the match was.
The only other highlight from the main card was the devastating knockout that Mark Hunt landed on Antonio Silva in their heavyweight rematch. Hunt is known for his “walk off” type of knockouts and tonight he delivered one to Silva in the first round that sent the Australian crowd into a frenzy.
Below are the full results from UFC 193.
Main Card Results:
- Bantamweight Championship: Holly Holm def. Ronda Rousey via knockout in Round 2 at 0:59
- Strawweight Championship: Joanna Jedrzejczyk def. Valerie Letourneau via unanimous decision
- Mark Hunt def. Antonio Silva via TKO in Round 1 at 3:41
- Robert Whittaker def. Uriah Hall via unanimous decision
- Jared Rosholt def. Stefan Struve via unanimous decision
Preliminary Card Results:
- Jake Matthews def. Akbarh Arreola via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) in Round 2 at 5:00
- Kyle Noke def. Peter Sobotta via TKO in Round 1 at 2:01
- Gian Villante def. Anthony Perosh via knockout in Round 1 at 2:56
- Danny Martinez def. Richie Vaculik via unanimous decision
- Daniel Kelly def. Steve Montgomery via unanimous decision
- Richard Walsh def. Steven Kennedy via unanimous decision
- James Moontasri def. Anton Zafir via TKO in Round 1 at 4:36
- Ben Nguyen def. Ryan Benoit via submission in Round 1 at 2:35